Sunday, February 5, 2017

Local Control

Who is not for local control? I guess it all depends on your definition. My definition of local control is individual control. I don't need or want a local government telling me what I can and cannot do as long as I am not endangering the physical or economic health of those around me. 

The Publisher/Executive Editor of the WilcoSun apparently wants to curb the State's ability to limit the power of local government over its citizens. I guess she has forgotten that local government was created by the State and the State has the obligation and power to set the terms and conditions under which they operate for the benefit of the citizens.

She praises Austin for banning the use of plastic bags within the city limits by retail businesses. She obsesses about the State of Texas denying cities the right to ban fracking within their city limits as Denton tried to do. She clearly is not concerned about the rights of the local businessman or the property rights of the local property owner. I welcome the State protecting my rights from being abridged by local government.

Then she attacks the State of Texas for trying to impose financial penalties on sanctuary cities and criminal penalties on local officials that fail to enforce federal immigration laws. All sorts of arguments are presented against federal laws being enforced within local governments ranging from the history of Mexican land ownership in Texas pre-statehood to the alleged benefits of immigrants to all who live in Texas. 

Again, I welcome the Federal governments and the State government's efforts to make sure all governments, including local governments, obey all the laws. We have seen over the last eight years the effect of selective law enforcement by the U.S. Justice Department. We do not need local governments deciding which laws they will enforce and which laws they will ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment